Re: Persistent nm connection activation on a system with read only filesystem

On Tue, 2019-02-19 at 11:31 +0100, Ingo Zerrer name wrote:
Hi,

I'm new here so I'm not sure if the topic has been discussed before.

I am working on a Debian 9 / GNOME system with read only filesystem.
Changes to the network settings (e.g. via nm applet) are therefore
lost when restarting the system.
The question now is, where does the NetworkManager store the
information about which network connections have been activated in
order to be able to persistently store this location?

Hi,

The state of NetworkManager is stored to /var/lib/NetworkManager.
I think you should just mount this directory (or /var/lib entirely) as
a tmpfs.

Regarding connection profiles in keyfile format. Set keyfile.path to
something like /var/run/NetworkManager/profiles.d (and possibly use
systemd-tmpfiles to create the directory). See `man
NetworkManager.conf`.

best,
Thomas