Re: Reciving multiple RAs causes NetworkManager to storm the network with RSes

On Thu, 2019-02-14 at 08:25 -0500, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
On Thu, 2019-02-14 at 13:46 +0100, Thomas Haller wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

In 1.10.2-16.el7_5, that code looks pretty similar. NetworkManager
should either log

    "router solicitation sent"

or

    "failure sending router solicitation: ...

for every RS that gets send.

Possibly the logging message was suppressed by journald's
ratelimiting

Most likely.

(as the journal would tell you, if that's the case). Make sure to
disable rate-limiting, see [1].

[1]
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/tree/contrib/fedora/rpm/NetworkManager.conf#n28

Is it really necessary to actually see the messages in the journal at
this point?  Doesn't the packet trace and CPU load of NM from my

Hi,

well, NetworkManager uses libndp for IPv6 neighbor discovery.

From the logs it looks like to me the IPv6 address of the sender is
indeed the instance managed by NetworkManager.

However,

1) libndp never sends RS without being told to do so (I think).

2) NetworkManager sends RS (via libndp) only at one place. It's not
clear to me how that code could be wrong so that it might result in a
flood of RS. The logfile should show whether this code is culprit or
not.

Is the issue hard to reproduce? Your efforts are appreciated!! :)

best,
Thomas