Re: Can't map keyfile path to /home/* directory

thanks Thomas, that fixed my issue! Thanks for the suggestion as well I will try to incorporate that into the design.

Jackson

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 7:38 AM Thomas Haller <thaller redhat com> wrote:
On Tue, 2018-09-25 at 17:50 -0400, Jackson Wiegman via networkmanager-
list wrote:
> Hi
>
> [testing this on a system with 1.2.6]
>
> I have a setup that (will be) a read-only root file system with RW
> /home directory. To allow for network changes, I have mapped the
> keyfile path in NetworkManager.conf to /home. However when I do this
> I get an error when trying save a connection (nmcli connection add
> gives me No plugin supported adding this connection, connection edit
> / save gives me read-only file system). If I map keyfile path to
> anywhere but /home, such as /tmp or /etc/TEST it works fine.
>
> Any idea why this won't work with any subdirectories in the /home
> folder?

Hi,

/usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service contains:

ProtectHome=read-only

See `man systemd.exec`. You may change that via

  $ systemctl edit NetworkManager.service

but a better idea would be to choose a directory like
/var/lib/NetworkManager, which is required to be read-write and
persisted. Also, because NetworkManager is a system daemon and has no
business with your home directory.

best,
Thomas