Re: NetworkManager behavior answers not found in docs

On Wed, 2018-10-24 at 15:52 +0200, Thomas HUMMEL wrote:
On 10/24/2018 01:23 PM, Thomas Haller wrote:

Hi,

An unmanaged device is in state "unmanaged". All other states (like
"100 (connected)") are not-unmanaged, which means they are
"managed".

   $ nmcli -f GENERAL.DEVICE,GENERAL.STATE device show
   $ nmcli -f GENERAL.DEVICE,GENERAL.STATE device show "$DEVICE"

Hello,

That's what I thought but on a previously discussed case of an
externally configured device, here's what I'm experiencing :

# nmcli -f GENERAL.DEVICE,GENERAL.STATE device show eth1
GENERAL.DEVICE:                         eth1
GENERAL.STATE:                          30 (disconnected)

# ip addr show eth1
3: eth1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state
UP
group default qlen 1000
     link/ether 00:50:56:8a:42:bf brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

# ip addr add 192.168.10.200/24 dev eth1

# nmcli -f GENERAL.DEVICE,GENERAL.STATE device show eth1
GENERAL.DEVICE:                         eth1
GENERAL.STATE:                          100 (connected)

But I thought we said that in such a case a profile would be
autocreated
(and autoconnected) but only to reflect that something is active but
which is not going to be managed (like for dhcp requests...) by NM ?

Did I misunderstood ?

I wasn't very clear here, sorry.

So, the device can be in state "unmanaged" and that's it.

If you have a device not "unmanaged" (that is, any other state), and
you externaly add IP configuration (like you did here), this is the
case 3) from my earlier email.

I said, in this case the device is not actively managed by NM, meaning,
NM does not do anything with it. This is different from the proper
"unmanaged" case. The device looks managed, but NM also doesn't mess
with it.

Let's call this "externally managed". Not sure that's helpful, but in
NetworkManager source code it's called like that.

In nmcli output, you cannot really distinguish a regular activated
profile from such an externally managed one. Except, that in the latter
case the profiles was autocreated and its name is the device name
(eth1).

best,
Thomas