Re: NetworkManager behavior answers not found in docs

On Tue, 2018-10-23 at 17:29 +0200, Thomas HUMMEL wrote:
On 10/17/2018 10:38 AM, Thomas Haller wrote:
3) if you do

   nmcli device disconnect eth0
   ip addr add 192.168.7.5/24 dev eth0

NM now creates an in-memory connection "eth0". This means that
NetworkManager*does not*  manage this device.

Among the things I forgot : I understand what you explained but I
cannot
figure out a way to make nmcli confirm that the device is not
managed.

For instance :

# nmcli -f GENERAL.STATE device show eth1
GENERAL.STATE:                          100 (connected)

I guess the 'connected' hides the 10 (unmanaged) I can see in
different
situations ?

# nmcli device show eth1 | grep -i managed
# <nothing>

Hi,

An unmanaged device is in state "unmanaged". All other states (like
"100 (connected)") are not-unmanaged, which means they are "managed".

  $ nmcli -f GENERAL.DEVICE,GENERAL.STATE device show
  $ nmcli -f GENERAL.DEVICE,GENERAL.STATE device show "$DEVICE"

best,
Thomas