Re: nmcli connection down

On 11/13/18 4:13 PM, Thomas Haller wrote:

Maybe. But the moment when you issue

   $ nmcli connection down "$PROFILE"

the "$PROFILE" is in the process of deactivating. It's not yet fully
deactivated. Hence, it is "the profile which is currently
deactivating".

Seems correct to me as-is, but no strong preference. WDYT?

Ok. Me neither. I guess I said that because of the way the original sentence was written : " Thisincludes the just deactivated connection. So if the connection is set to auto-connect, it will be automatically started on the disconnected device again."

I prefer your patch since it is technically accurate ;-)

Talking about nmcli(1) man, I found this part unclear (to me at last) and only our previous discussions had me figure it out :

"You can also specify particular fields. For static configuration,
use setting and property names as described in nm-settings(5)
manual page. For active data use GENERAL, IP4, DHCP4, IP6, DHCP6,
VPN."

To me, someone issuing 'nmcli device show' vs 'nmcli connection show' would deduce concerning properties that uppercase vs lowercase is a matter of device vs profile, not static vs active (the ambiguous term to me here is static). My understanding now is that device is just another way to say active or applied. However, even a disconnect device has got some GENERAL.* uppercase properties.

To add to the confusion (mine at least), many nmcli connection add examples I saw, including nmcli-examples(7) use ip4, gw4 (not the same name as in nm-settings(5) and in lowercase) while to me using, ipv4.*, at least for nmcli connection add would do the same ?

If you see what I mean. Keep in mind I might be mistaking and I might have missed a basic understanding ;-)

For now in my mind is the following : upper case : applied profile, lowercase : profile (applied or not).

Otherwise, I did write a quite long or not so short web page (markdown in our documentation software) doing a hopefully detailed and accurate reference about what we've talked together and more generally about the concepts we evoked. It was meant for myself and my team as a reference and holds the following sections :

How to configure Network on a CentOS 7 system

I. iproute2 - the manual method
II. network scripts - the old method
II.1 overview
II.2 Details
III. NetworkManager - the new method
III.1 Service launch
III.2 Concepts
III.3 Devices : properties
III.4 Profiles: properties
III.5 Active connection creation
III.7 Active connection modification
III.7.1 "normal" profile modification
III.7.2 applying changes
III.7.3 volatile modifications
III.7.4 Examples
III.8 Persisting profiles / plugins
III.8.1 keyfile plugin
III.8.2 CentOS case
III.8.3 Debian case
III.9 Device discovery
III.9.1 sysfs attributes
III.9.2 udev(7) properties
III.9.3 udev and NetworkManager
III.10 management
III.10.1 unmanaged
III.10.2 managed
III.10.3 externally managed
III.11. profile autocreation
III.10.1 execption 1
III.10.2.exception 2
III.10.3 exception 3
III.10.4 exception 4
IV. profile autoconnection
IV.1 profile
IV.2 device
IV.3 autocreate/autoconnect
IV.4 ethernet auto profile case
V. return to the externally managed case (2 examples)
VI dispatcher scripts
X state directory

It is quite informal and at the granularity level of what I asked here and almost wired ethernet only oriented.

Would you be interested I translate it (from french to english) and send it to you in order for you to see if it can be of any help for anyone on any form (I don't have any blog myself) ?

[don't look at the section numbering I just read I did not accurately copied it while writing this message, but you've got the idea ;-)]

--
Thomas HUMMEL