dns-search ordering on dual nic setup

Hello,

[I'm talking only about ipv4.method=manual wired ethernet connections here]

As far as I experience, the 'search' line in the NetworkManager resolv.conf file comes from the union of all the ipv4.dns-search properties of all the active profiles and the order of the domains it lists doesn't depend on the order of profile activation.

- am I right ?

- does the order then depend on the order of the underlying devices (i.e. dns-search of eth0 first, dns-search of eth1 second, ...) ?

What would be the best way to enforce a particular order ?

For instance let's say

eth0 profile : ipv4.dns-search my.public.domain
eth1 profile : ipv4.dns-search some.private.non-routed-domain

By default, it seems that when the 2 profiles are connected, I've got

search my.public.domain some.private.non-routed-domain

in /etc/resolv.conf

What if I want the opposite order ?

Note : the idea here is to have the short non-qualified host name as the hostname and make hostname --fqdn return <hostname>.some.private-non-routed.domain

Thanks

--
Thomas HUMMEL