Prefer specific Ethernet profile

NetworkManager 1.10.10
Fedora 28 x86_64
GNOME Shell network manager (not nm-applet)

I have two Ethernet connection profiles defined for NetworkManager, one with
802.1X authentication configured ("Home Ethernet") and one without ("Open
Ethernet"). I've noticed when I'm on a non-802.1X Ethernet network it takes a
long time to fail, so in the keyfile for Home Ethernet I defined "autoconnect-
priority=100" and "autoconnect-retries=2" in the [connection] section and "auth-
timeout=5" in the [802-1x] section. In Open Ethernet I haven't defined any of
those properties. NetworkManager.conf only defines "dns=default".

The first time connecting to Ethernet (neither profile has a "timestamp" entry)
on a non-802.1X network it correctly attempts Home Ethernet first and falls back
to Open Ethernet after ~10 seconds. But after that, when returning to my
authenticated network (sometimes freshly booting, sometimes waking from sleep),
NetworkManager is trying Open Ethernet first. Problem is, if 802.1X fails it
gives a valid IP address with limited connectivity. So while NetworkManager did
successfully configure a connection, it used the wrong profile.

How can I convince NetworkManager to either always try Home Ethernet first and
only use Open Ethernet iff Home Ethernet fails? It would also be fine (maybe
preferable?) to make Home Ethernet try 802.1X but fall back to non-802.1X after
some timeout and only fail the connection if both fail to configure the
connection.

--
Joel Goguen