OpenVPN + PKCS#11

Hi!

I'm trying to setup an OpenVPN connection with NetworkManager using a
PKCS#11 token as the client certificate storage. As far as I
understand after some googling, it's not possible to setup such a
config with GUI (at least #1218335 states so), but the "pkcs11:"
schema is supported internally.

However, if I specify "cert=pkcs11:manufacturer=piv_II" and try to
turn the VPN up, I get the following in the log:

Options error: --cert fails with 'pkcs11:manufacturer=piv_II': No such
file or directory (errno=2)
WARNING: cannot stat file 'pkcs11:manufacturer=piv_II': No such file
or directory (errno=2)
Options error: --key fails with 'pkcs11:manufacturer=piv_II': No such
file or directory (errno=2)
Options error: Please correct these errors.

It looks like the schema is not recognized. Is there a way to setup
OpenVPN with PKCS#11-stored certificate using NetworkManager?

I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 and the repository-supplied NetworkManager
(version 1.10.6).

Best regards,
Ignat Loskutov