Re: Access Point & WPA2

On Mon, 2018-12-10 at 12:15 +0200, Berend De Schouwer via
networkmanager-list wrote:
Hi,

I've got a system running 1.12.4 that I've got trouble setting up as
an
access point.

I can set it up using hostapd, and NetworkManager without WPA, but
cannot configure using NetworkManager with WPA.

I've tried with a few different options, using the GUI and nmcli, and
keep seeing:

Using interface wlan0 with hwaddr r:a:n:d:o:m and ssid "TestNet"
Interface initialization failed
wlan0: interface state UNINITIALIZED->DISABLED
wlan0: Unable to setup interface
Failed to initialize AP interface
wlan0: interface state DISABLED->DISABLED
wlan0: AP-DISABLED
hostapd_free_hapd_data: Interface wlan0 wasn't started

I've noticed that hostapd needs to bring wlan0 down first, can't
change
modes to AP while wlan0 is up.

I've also noticed "Note: nl80211 driver interface is not designed to
be
used with ap_scan=2; this can result in connection failures" which
seems to be a normal message for AP configuration.

Hardware:
Bus 001 Device 020: ID 148f:3070 Ralink Technology, Corp.
RT2870/RT3070
Wireless Adapter

What do I look at next?

Hi,

I don't think hostapd matters much, because NetworkManager uses
wpa_supplicant's AP functionality (of course, wpa_supplicant and
hostapd are the same project, so they share code).

Is the quoted log from from wpa_supplicant?

I'd suggest, to enable level=TRACE logging for NetworkManager (see [1])
and debug logging to wpa_supplicant, and look at the logs.
If possible, provide them here.

[1] https://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/tree/contrib/fedora/rpm/NetworkManager.conf#n28

Sometimes, changing the MAC address trips up supplicant or the driver.
You could disable that, see:
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/tree/examples/nm-conf.d/31-mac-addr-change.conf?id=8dfa903a9d6d558cac684c9a3b15bb685a369aad

what's the output of `nmcli -f all device show "$WLAN_DEVICE"` ?

best,
Thomas