Re: wifi permanently switching between 2.4 and 5 GHz

That is actually quite helpful - I didn't realize you could configure hysteresis at the iw level, and never found that prior.  I dug about when I ran into this at a particular customer site with crappy wifi as mentioned thinking exactly hysteresis adjustment, but never found (or noticed) anything on the topic from intel, linux, or other.  I've dealt with hysteresis to tune roaming in a high density aruba environment that the ap level be more conducive to roaming bouncing clients, so I understand the concept, but didn't know I could control the driver lever, at least under linux prior.

Thanks a bunch for that tidbit!  Also interesting on the band steering exploitation, something I've not delved into much how vendors do so, but does make sense it is just done via rssi tuning - thank you again.

It would be nice if this were adjustable in NM ui, but a creature comfort for geeks I understand, and doesn't apply to most to bother.  Mesh ap's are more common lately from google, samsung, others, and agree it's preferable if 11k/r roaming were better as well, but having knobs to adjust the rssi and hysteresis as you described perfectly would be nice as well for nm, that most distro's use by default.  Even some basic options slider, best quality (voice) == -65 rssi/4 hysteresis, to worst == single ap/thick house -80/16 sort of thing for normal users.  Roaming options (pmk/okc/11r) as well for the win.

Even if only under linux, but would love to set an example to see something like that including across all platforms controllable with policy.  Perfect world and such.

-mb