Re: Pantech UML290 - 106c:3718 - QMI Modem

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 3:25 AM, Aleksander Morgado <aleksander aleksander es> wrote:

On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 1:43 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver greg gmail com> wrote:
Well, I got this modem working with raw qmi commands, but the issue of changing to a data-format of 802-3 that dhclient understands does not work.  I know this is not a NM/MM issue, but you guys know the ins and outs far better than I do.

Are you taking the out put of ::

$ sudo qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --wds-get-current-settings
[/dev/cdc-wdm0] Current settings retrieved:
           IP Family: IPv4
        IPv4 address: 10.72.168.2
    IPv4 subnet mask: 255.255.255.252
IPv4 gateway address: 10.72.168.1
    IPv4 primary DNS: 172.17.1.101
  IPv4 secondary DNS: 172.17.1.102
                 MTU: 1428
             Domains: none

and parsing it and creating the interface, or does the NM dhcp helper accommodate the device type issue for this modem?  I would obviously prefer to use dhcp, but I can parse if needed as well.  Still not sure why MM will not connect with this device..

I am using to connect ::

qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --wds-start-network="apn=wyleslte.gw7.vzwentp,ip-type=4" --device-open-net="net-raw-ip|net-no-qos-header" --device-open-sync --client-no-release-cid

RESULT:
[/dev/cdc-wdm0] Network started
    Packet data handle: '30906608'
[/dev/cdc-wdm0] Client ID not released:
    Service: 'wds'
        CID: '18'

​If the kernel supports raw-ip, e.g. >= 4.4, and MM finds a QMI network interface configured​ to use raw-ip by default, we don't switch anything, we just use raw-ip and manually configure the IP settings on the interface with the info retrieved from WDS Get Current Settings. This is, no DHCP at all here.

If the kernel doesn't support raw ip, and we find a QMI network interface configured to use raw-ip by default, we *try* to switch it to 802.3 mode, either with the "net-802-3" flag when opening the device or via WDA operations. I say *try* because not all modems allow switching (e.g. MC7455 won't). If we can successfully switch it to 802.3, we then use DHCP on the interface.

In your case, I believe this Pantech modem should definitely allow 802.3. Maybe try with
​​
--wda-set-data-format?

​Yeah - this Pantech does not support the ​
--wda-set-data-format command, so I will just manually set it - Thanks Aleksander.