Re: NM needs 'urandom'?

On Wed, 2017-10-11 at 13:49 +0100, colin helliwell ln-systems com
wrote:
I've noticed that my system has a delay during boot-up, of about
20secs. It
*looks* like NM is waiting for urandom - there's no " NetworkManager
(version 1.8.2) is starting " message until right after "random:
nonblocking
pool is initialized ".
That might just be a coincidence (though other services etc *have*
started
by then), but if not then I'm curious what the dependency is (and
whether
there's a way round it for faster boot).

Hi,

that is quite possible that NM reads urandom.
For example, to generate a key in /var/lib/NetworkManager/secret_key

That doesn't seem wrong.

We could try to call getrandom() instead, but that probably would block
just as long.

Thomas