[Fwd: Re: NetworkManager lost my wired interface]

I sent this last night but about 3 hours after I sent it, it bounced due
to greylisting, whatever that means.

Trying again...
--- Begin Message ---
On Mon, 2017-03-27 at 01:46 +0200, Matteo Croce wrote:
I've found this file in latest Ubuntu which seems to avoid NM managing
any interface but WiFi and WWAN:

$ cat /usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/10-globally-managed-devices.conf
[keyfile]
unmanaged-devices=*,except:type:wifi,except:type:wwan

is the same for you?

I do have this file with this content, yes.  However, I also have this
content on another desktop system, also running Ubuntu GNOME 16.10
(actually on the same LAN as this problematic one), and on that system
the wired interface is recognized as expected and managed with
NetworkManager.  I can't remember if I upgraded the working system or
installed 16.10 from scratch, but apparently some other setting is
supposed to happen somewhere that overrides this, which didn't happen
for me.

It appears to be this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/1658921

I followed the workaround in that bug (replace that file with an empty
file) then ran "sudo killall -HUP NetworkManager" and sure enough, my
wired connection came right back.

Yikes!

Thanks for the pointer, Matteo!

--- End Message ---