Re: Disable autoconnect for new wifi connections by default

On Sat, 2017-01-28 at 17:29 +0100, Marcin Zajączkowski wrote:
Hi,

I would like to disable autoconnect for new wifi connections by
default.
I prefer to control when my device is connected to public/shared wifi
which identity cannot be determined ultimately (aka fake networks
with
well known ssid).

I know I can do it manually via UI or nmcli, but I would prefer to
configure it once (in the way as cloned-mac-address in global
configuration) and only enable autoconnect for well know (and
properly
configured - with certificates) networks.

Two questions:
1. Is it currently possible? 'device' section doesn't seem to accept
that property.

It's not possible, only the properties mentioned in `man
NetworkManager.conf` support to have their default values overwritten.

Note that these default-values are only a fallback setting.
That is, the connection is still fully determined by the client
(nmcli). But it may explicitly configure certain properties as
~unspecified~ to allow for a fallback.

In case of connection.autoconnect, it only allows for "yes" or "no".
There is no space to express ~unspecified~.

2. How can I read/list default configuration for new wifi connections
(e.g. wifi.cloned-mac-address - nmcli allows that only for existing
connections, not devices)?

nmcli still shows you the value ~unspecified~, and that correct. The
value is only determined when needed -- which for example depends
on the device on which you activate the connection.

It's not possible to see via D-Bus (clients) which value the server
would use when needed.

Try:
  /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --print-config

Thomas