Re: Persistent network interface configuration for several wwan modems

On Mon, 2016-10-24 at 17:35 +0200, Viktor S. Wold Eide wrote:
Hi,

I have several wwan usb modems connected to a single PC. Currently,
the PC
is running Ubuntu 16.10 which comes with network-manager-1.2.4. I
would
like to have a network interface configuration where all modems get
up and
running at all times, each with an IP address and a default route.
Each
wwan modem has a sim card, which requires specific apn and pin
settings.

What is the recommended way to configure these wwan modems in a
persistent
way?

In contrast to other network interfaces, such as wired Ethernet and
wlan,
NetworkManager reports the cdc-wdmX device (cdc-wdm0, cdc-wdm1, cdc-
wdm2,
etc.), that is the control port for each wwan modem. The cdc device
is
dynamically associated to the modems, so that depending on which
modem is
plugged into the computer and in which order, cdc-wdm0 for example
can
refer to any of the modems.

I have looked at the different settings available via "nmcli
connection
edit ...". The setting "connection.interface-name" seems to work only
when
the cdc device interface is specified, but as already mentioned that
may
change and hence can not be used directly.

I have made a NetworkManager connection configuration for each wwan
modem
and been able to associate each specific connection to a specific
wwan
modem by using the setting "gsm.deivce-id", but I was wondering if
this is
the recommended way or if there are any better alternatives?

This is the recommended way.  The Device ID is meant to be a unique
device identifier using information reported by the WWAN device
firmware including the IMEI.

As you've discovered, the kernel does not assign persistent device
names (for various legitimate reasons) and many manufacturers don't
assign unique USB serial numbers to devices, so you can't use udev
rules to assign a specific name to the device either.

But Device ID is what you want, since it is computed after discovering
and talking to the modem to get the information needed to ensure
uniqueness.

There's also the SIM identifier property (based on a hash of the IMSI)
that you can use if don't care what device the SIM is in, but still
want to tie a connection to a specific SIM/provider.

Dan

I could not see that this has been answered earlier, but I might have
overlooked something.

Best regards
Viktor S. Wold Eide