Re: How to activate MAC address randomization?

On Thu, 2016-05-19 at 01:41 +0200, poma wrote:
On 18.05.2016 16:49, Thomas Haller wrote:

I actually have a question for you, and Lubo;

In the wpa_supplicant, Pre-association MAC random-ization is disabled
per default:

https://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/tree/doc/dbus.doxygen#n964
PreassocMacAddr
Pre-association MAC address policy

https://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/tree/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf#n41
8
# MAC address policy for pre-association operations (scanning, ANQP)
# 0 = use permanent MAC address
# 1 = use random MAC address
# 2 = like 1, but maintain OUI (with local admin bit set)
#preassoc_mac_addr=0

and the same was said, toward NetworkManager, in:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/tree/NEWS#
n8
* Added an option to enable use of random MAC addresses for Wi-Fi
access
    point scanning (defaults to disabled).  Controlled with
    'wifi.mac-address-randomization' property
(MAC_ADDRESS_RANDOMIZATION key in
    ifcfg files).

Yeah, this is wrong. I fixed it:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/commit/?id=e0e1c5916073deac49d27a9ee2343073f5fe552a

-but- you said in:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2016-May/msg00042
.html
<quote>
When NM detects support in wpa-supplicant, it always sets
PreassocMacAddr to 1. This setting is only relevant during scanning,
and thus NM *always* enables it.
</quote>

-and- as "published" by Lubo in:

https://blogs.gnome.org/lkundrak/2016/01/18/networkmanger-and-trackin
g-protection-in-wi-fi-networks
<quote>
What seems like a viable option is randomizing the MAC address while
scanning,
changing it every now and then,
but still use the hard-wired MAC address for association and actual
connectivity. [...]
With the upcoming NetworkManager 1.2 we’re doing this too. [...]
With the upcoming NetworkManager 1.2 (when using wpa_supplicant 2.4
or newer) we’re doing this too.
</quote>

Is not that, as mentioned in the NEWS, in fact MAC random-ization per
connecting, not MAC random-ization per scanning!?

You are right.

That is, in the wpa_supplicant, Connection MAC random-ization:

https://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/tree/doc/dbus.doxygen#n954
MacAddr
MAC address policy default

https://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/tree/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf#n40
5
# MAC address policy default
# 0 = use permanent MAC address
# 1 = use random MAC address for each ESS connection
# 2 = like 1, but maintain OUI (with local admin bit set)
#
# By default, permanent MAC address is used unless policy is changed
by
# the per-network mac_addr parameter. Global mac_addr=1 can be used
# change this default behavior.
#mac_addr=0

toward NetworkManager, what -you- said in:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2016-May/msg00042
.html
<quote>
The mac-address-randomization connection-setting on the other hand,
configures the behavior while being connected.
</quote>

-and- as "published" by Lubo in:

https://blogs.gnome.org/lkundrak/2016/01/18/networkmanger-and-trackin
g-protection-in-wi-fi-networks
<quote>
Could we randomize the permanent address too?
We added option for that to NetworkManager 1.2 too, but are leaving
it off. [...]
</quote>

What is what, and what is not!? :)

Hi poma,

yes, the NEWS file was wrong.

Also, as we already found out, another mistake was that wpa-supplicant
support is not yet available in 2.4. It is currently only on master
(and will be in supplicant version 2.6)
-- unless we backport it, for which you opened a Fedora bug (thank
you).

Lubo's "but are leaving it off." statement means:
if you leave the per-connection setting wifi.mac-address-randomization
at "default", then the default means "off"
-- unless you overwrite it via a global default value in
/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf, see `man NetworkManager.conf`.

Does this resolve all unclarities?

Thomas