L2TP/IPsec plugin only reads self generated config?

Hi!
I am trying to connect to my L2TP/IPsec gateway, however, it seems that the plugin only reads the config it
automaticalkly generates whereas I have necessary options in /etc/strongswan/ipsec.conf under "conn %default"
section. Is this true? I skimmed through the source code and it seems to be the case. If this is the way it is done, is
there any way to supply the plugin with necessary information (ike1=blah,blah to be more precise)?

Thanks a lot in advance,
-- Sergei