Re: OpenVPN connection loses static route after SIGUSR1

On Mon, 2016-06-20 at 19:41 +0200, Samuel Casa wrote:
Hi!
I am using the NetworkManager 1.0.12 to configure a VPN connection as
a 'secondary'.
If I bring the connection manually down and up using nmcli, the
static
route pushed by the server is added successfully on the client [0].
If I send a SIGUSR1 (forced server ping-restart trigger) to the
openvpn process, the static route pushed by the server is missing in
the clients route configuration [1].

The static route is pushed in both cases by the server, I can verify
this on client and on server side.

Where do we lose this information?
What I can see is that the helper application
nm-openvpn-service-openvpn-helper is called with the arguments init
(up / down) and restart (SIGUSR1).
The route information should be in the process environment at this
time, but it seems to be missing.

How to debug this in the best way?

Hi,

this sounds like an unknown issue to me.

Try
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/NetworkManager/Debugging#Debugging_NetworkManager-openvpn

Maybe it's also helpful to replace the helper with a wrapper script.

Thomas