Re: How to activate MAC address randomization?

On 05/25/2016 10:56 AM, Dan Williams wrote:

NM always requests that non-associated scans (eg, before you've
connected to a wifi network) be randomized by default.  You can
(through the mac randomization property) request that the association
address also be randomized.

You can also use the cloned MAC address property to set a specific MAC
address for the association, on a per-connection basis.  If you choose
"always" for mac randomization, that overrides the cloned mac address.

As far as we know, and as far as we've tested, these both work
correctly when wpa_supplicant support exists and the driver uses the
nl80211 kernel API.  Out-of-tree and WEXT-based drivers may not work
correctly.

There does seem to be some confusion about the issue as you can see
from this thread, so we're trying to investigate that and clear things
up.  But when the features were added, they worked.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Is there more of a consensus now on this issue?

My last attempt at using NM 1.2 with wpas 2.4 and iwlwifi driver (which supposedly uses nl80211) resulted in NM saying it couldn't turn randomization on.

If I compile the latest NM 1.2 and wpas 2.5 master branches, should it work? My objective is to document the conditions and steps needed to get wifi randomization operational on Qubes OS, which is based on fedora.

Chris