Re: Wait for DHCP client on interface activation

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 01:32:42PM +0000, Alexander Pisarev wrote:
Hello everyone,

I want to ask is it ok that n-m didn't waiting for DHCP client?
Cause when I try to up connection by nmcli, it waiting for something, but not dhclient.
Maybe be it's possible to add some option or configuration field to say n-m to wait for receive IP? Or it's
didn't fit n-m?

Hi,

check the output of 'nmcli connection show <con-name>':

 [...]
 ipv4.may-fail:                          yes|no
 [...]
 ipv6.may-fail:                          yes|no

If the 'ipv4.may-fail' property is set to 'yes', NM considers IPv4 not
necessary for the connection activation success and will return as
soon as IPv6 completes.

Probably you just have to set it to 'no':

 $ nmcli connection modify <con-name> ipv4.may-fail no

so that NM will wait for IPv4 to complete, and fail if it doesn't.

Beniamino