Re: How to deal with unsupported wpa_supplicant parameters?

Hi Dan,

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 12:21:24PM -0600, Dan Williams wrote:

On Thu, 2016-01-28 at 17:58 +0100, Toby wrote:
I fully understand that this specific TLS1.2 issue is temporary and
doesn't
need to be addressed specifically. But there are many more
wpa_supplicant
parameters not covered by the settings spec, and there might be even
more
in upcoming releases. NM will always lag behind to some extend.
Therefore, I'd vote for a custom settings field, which allows to
specify a
list of key/value pairs as a single string (based on a certain
syntax), and
which get's passed thru to wpa_supplicant as a sequence of
parameter/value
combos blindly. This would be a flexible way to address any potential
future issues directly. Of course, there's no need to expose such a
setting
to GUIs.

The supplicant does have a ton of options (some useful and some not),
but punching a hole through isn't a great solution the problem at hand
and doesn't lend itself to a great user experience, whether that's a
GUI or a CLI.  Instead, if you think you need to customize some option,
we'd love to hear about it so we can figure out if there is a way to
achieve your goal using that option, or some other way.

A bit of feedback from an enduser, if I may:

I've also found myself in the same situation as Toby, but not with some
wpa_supplicant option but with an openconnect option. I don't remember
the details but as it was I could not establish an OpenConnect VPN
connection using NetworkManager, so I had to invoke the openconnect
binary directly, with sudo and everything.

At that time I thought "it'd be nice if NetworkManager allowed me to
plug in extra command arguments for openconnect in NetworkManager.conf".

I think at some other time I needed to debug a DHCP problem and needed
to pass special arguments to dhclient. One can create wrappers, of
course, but I personally prefer tweaking configuration files because
then my changes are respected and preserved by the package manager.

So, I do think there is value in providing a way to pass extra arguments
to the binaries that NetworkManager invokes. It should not be something
that is exposed to users via user interfaces but NetworkManager cannot
possibly get 100% right all the time all the options that the binaries
that it spawns support and that could be helped by providing a way to
add arbitrary arguments.

Anyway, I do love NetworkManager, and thank all of you for all the work
you put into it.

Cheers,

Eloy Paris.-

As I said before, I don't think this warrants a new NMSetting property,
but clearly there is need for a different workaround for the TLS v1.2
case.

Dan

I had been hoping for such a feature to exist without being
documented (as
it would be one of the first things I'd implement), but it looks like
this
is not the case.
Toby