Re: How to create a simple tap0 interface using nmcli

On Mon, 2016-01-25 at 12:21 +0000, Vincent Fortier wrote:
Thnx.  So lets say I previously created a bridge interface and linked
in my
eth0:
$ nmcli connection show
$ nmcli connection delete <eth0|eth0-UUID>
$ nmcli connection add type bridge \
         ifname br0 con-name br0
$ nmcli connection add type bridge-slave \
         ifname eth0 con-name eth0 master br0

Presumably I create tap0 then add it to my br0 such as the following:

$ nmcli connection add type tun \

          ifname tap0 con-name tap0 \

          mode tap owner `id -u` ip4 0.0.0.0/24
$ nmcli connection add type bridge-slave \
          ifname tap0 con-name tap0 master br0

Here you're creating two separate network profiles.  You only need to
create one profile for tap0 that includes the bridge-slave bits:

$ nmcli connection add type tun \
         ifname tap0 con-name tap0 \
         slave-type bridge master br0 \
         mode tap owner `id -u` ip4 0.0.0.0/24

or:

$ nmcli connection add type tun \
          ifname tap0 con-name tap0 \
          mode tap owner `id -u` ip4 0.0.0.0/24
$ nmcli connection mod tap0 connection.slave-type bridge \
          connection.master br0

'nmcli con add type <*-slave>' is just a short-cut to fill slave-type
for you.  The major point is that whenever you use "nmcli con add" it
will create a *new* connection profile.  You want to either put all
properties in one 'nmcli con add' or you can use 'nmcli con mod' to set
them after creation.

Dan

Then I would be good to go with qemu and be all-set "automagically"
at
every reboot as autoconnect=yes is set by default.

NM1.2 not yet available under Ubuntu 16.04 alpha (duno if planned to
be
included?) so can't test it unless I recompile from source.
 Therefore in
the meantime it's more of a personnal knowledge thing than anything
else.

Thnx in advance!

- vin

Le lun. 25 janv. 2016 à 03:22, Beniamino Galvani <bgalvani redhat com