Re: How to create a simple tap0 interface using nmcli

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 02:46:54AM +0000, Vincent Fortier wrote:
I was wondering how can I create a tap interface using nmcli?  Search again
and again witouth luck...

Hi,

creation of tun/tap devices is supported only in NetworkManager 1.2.
On such version you can create a tap connection using the command:

 $ nmcli connection add type tun ifname tap0 con-name mytap0 \
                        mode tap owner `id -u` ip4 x.x.x.x/24

The connection will have autoconnect=yes by default and so the device
will be created automatically every time NM starts. You can manually
enable or disable the connection with:

 $ nmcli connection up mytap0
 $ nmcli connection down mytap0

Beniamino