Re: Changing the dnsmasq options for a shared wifi access point?

On Tue, 2016-02-02 at 08:34 +0000, Ashley Collins wrote:

It occurs to me that default gateways must be on a local network? So
my attempt to change dnsmasq settings probably wouldn't have given me
the result I want because the new default gateway is a couple of hops
away from the devices connecting to the access point.

indeed, you cannot pre-determine the way that the IP packet will take
on the sender. You can only send it to the next-hop/gateway
and from there it gets forwarded (according to the gateway's routing
table). Thus, the gateway must be directly connected.

... possibly you could create an overlay network/tunnel (Vxlan?), but
depending on your use-case, it seems better to instead get the routing
right.

Thomas