Re: NM is asking for new key each time it fail to associate

On Fri, 2016-12-16 at 09:05 +0000, Jonathan Kang wrote:
Hi all

I met the same issue mentioned in a previous thread[1], so I'd like
raise it again. This link[2] is the debug information I get. Hope it
will
be helpful.

What I found is when the supplicant state changes from "4-way
handshake" to
"disconnected", it'll show a dialog asking for new key. And I doubt
the
function named need_new_wpa_psk() in src/devices/wifi/nm-device-
wifi.c
needs some improvement.

If the association fails during the 4-way handshake the most likely
reason for a failure is a wrong PSK.  The older mail thread you
referenced doesn't indicate what the disconnect reason code was, but we
didn't have reason codes available in NM back in 2008 so it may well
have been the same one.

But in your new case, the "Connection disconnected (-4)" does indicate
a different reason: WLAN_REASON_DISASSOC_DUE_TO_INACTIVITY.  The
negative indicates it came from the kernel/driver, not from the AP.
 That usually indicates a bug in the driver or with power-saving
functionality.  NM should handle this better.

I've mailed a patch for this to the list, thanks for the report!

Dan

*[1]
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2008-March/msg002
16.html