Troubleshooting NM 1.4.0 (was 'How to activate...randomization?')

I am trying out the new NM in Debian testing by installing the network-manager 1.4.0-3 and network-manager-gnome 1.4.0-2 versions from unstable.

NM 1.4 shows up in the systray, but won't display any access points. It does seem to be trying to manage the wifi device, as its MAC address now changes to a random number; I can see this with ifconfig.

NM 1.2.4 had been working fine before the upgrade.

Any troubleshooting suggestions?

Chris