Re: WiFi interface disappeared

On Mon, 2015-09-14 at 14:10 -0400, JimR wrote:
Fedora Core 21, KDE spin, all patches up to date.

Have run for many months using WiFi almost exclusively. Started using OpenVPN a couple of months ago with a
commercial VPN provider. (Not sure if that matters). That has worked fine.

Got notification from Apper that some packages needed updating, including kernel. Performed the update from
the Apper UI.  I don't know if Networkmanager was in the list.

After reboot, WiFi no longer works, in fact, the whole WiFi interface has disappeared from ifconfig and
from the NetworkServices UI. I plugged in an ethernet cable, and it works fine. Machine is triple-boot,
FC21, Win7 and Ubuntu LTS 14.04. WiFi works fine in Win and Ubu.

I tried re-adding the interface, wlp8s0 using the Connection Editor. Seemed happy, but it still won't start
nor  list in ifconfig

If the device isn't listed in ifconfig the the kernel cannot see it, and
thus NetworkManager can't see it.  It seems like there is either a
hardware problem with your wifi device, or the kernel has been updated
and no longer recognizes the wifi device.  What is the output of 'lsusb'
and 'lspci' when those commands are run in a terminal on your machine?

Dan

I found this in the messages log around the time of the failure, but googling this does not produce any
meaningful help:

Sep 12 23:16:04 KD1YV1 NetworkManager[733]: <info> (wlp8s0): device state change: activated -> deactivating
(reason 'removed') [100 110 36]
Sep 12 23:16:04 KD1YV1 NetworkManager[733]: <info> NetworkManager state is now CONNECTED_LOCAL
Sep 12 23:16:04 KD1YV1 NetworkManager[733]: <info> (wlp8s0): device state change: deactivating -> unmanaged
(reason 'removed') [110 10 36]
Sep 12 23:16:04 KD1YV1 NetworkManager[733]: <info> (wlp8s0): deactivating device (reason 'removed') [36]

Help!
JimR
_______________________________________________ networkmanager-list mailing list networkmanager-list gnome