Re: WPA/WPA2 Enterprise details

On Monday 14 of September 2015 12:51:01 Jirka Klimes wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 10:36:59 +0200

> Jan Grulich <jgrulich redhat com> wrote:

> > Hi,

> > I'm trying to improve our WPA/WPA2 Enterprise support in KDE and I

> > have few questions regarding 802-11x security setting.

> > 1) When phase2-foo properties should be used instead of just foo

> > properties (e.g phase2-private-key/private-key) ? In implementation

> > of gnome-applet I see they are used when phase2 property is set to

> > true, but it's always set to false as I can see.

> phase2-foo properties are used for EAP methods that have 2 phases. In

> the first phase a tunnel is established, and then, in phase 2, the

> authentication is done inside the tunnel using the inner method that

> uses the phase2 properties.

> NM uses that for PEAP, TTLS and FAST EAP methods for which you can

> specify inner methods.

> I am not aware of gnome-shell applet implementation. You can look at

> nm-applet/nm-connection-editor code here:

> https://git.gnome.org/browse/network-manager-applet/tree/src/wireless-securi

> ty/eap-method.c

> https://git.gnome.org/browse/network-manager-applet/tree/src/wireless-secur

> ity/eap-method-peap.c

I actually meant nm-applet and not gnome-applet.

I see only phase2_auth property used in PEAP, FAST PEAP and TTLS, but in TLS there are other phase2-foo properties used only when parent->phase2 is true. I just don't understand why this property is always set to false in https://git.gnome.org/browse/network-manager-applet/tree/src/wireless-security/wireless-security.c

by passing false as third parameter to eap_method_tls_new (line 428).

Is there any place where this property gets changed?

> > 2) Are subjectMatch/altSubjectMatch properties still valid and used?

> > I don't see this implemented in gnome-applet, but we had this

> > implemented in the old KDE networkmanagement applet. I'm asking

> > because we got a bug report about missing implementation of these

> > properties for the new applet and I would like to be sure how this

> > should be implemented.

> https://developer.gnome.org/NetworkManager/1.0/ref-settings.html

> Yes, the properties are valid and used for matching the certificates.

> They are passed to wpa_supplicant that performs the certificates

> matching.

> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/tree/src/supplican

> t-manager/nm-supplicant-config.c#n971

> It seems that nm-connection-editor/nn-applet did not handle the

> properties. But they can be set via nmcli.

> Jirka

Regards,

Jan