nm in different linux distributions - ppp versus qmi-wwan

Hi,

the last days I tested the NetorkManager with the Huwei E398 with dualstack on
livecd / fresh installed systems. (ISP Deutsche Telekom(t-mobile))

I observed the

Opensuse 42.1
nm1.0.6/mm1.4.10 --> uses qmi-wwan, connection editor allows to enable IPv6
and it works

Ubuntu 15.10
nm1.0.4/mm1.4.10 --> uses qmi-wwan, connection editor ignores IPv6 completely
after changing manually  the method to auto it works

manjaro-xfce-15.09-x86_64
manjaro-kde-15.09-x86_64

nm1.06/mm?? --> uses ppp, connection editor allows to enable IPv6
but IPv6 via ppp is not supported by the modem

So my question is: Who does decide between qmi-wwan or ppp?

Regards,
Thomas