network-manager/nm-applet doesn't recognize my wired connection

Hi,

I installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS server, then installed Cinnamon which includes the nm-applet but apparently did not install network-manager. I then installed network-manager.

The applet appears in the panel right side. However, it shows a disconnected icon, even though I have a wired connection that works.

If I [sudo service network-manager stop] the applet disappears. When I sudo service network-manager start] the applet appears but still showing disconnected.

What can I check/fix?

Thanks, Caesar.