Re: No more IPv4 address after boot up since NM 0.9.10

On Thu, 2015-03-12 at 10:32 +0100, Harald Dunkel wrote:
On Wed, 04 Mar 2015 18:15:43 +0100
Frederik Himpe <frederik frehi be> wrote:

I still think that NM's behaviour not to touch the interface when it's
up already is counter-intuitive. If I start up NM with a configuration
for eth0, then I _do_ want this configuration to be applied, just like
the distro specific init networking scripts would do. If you don't want
NM to touch an existing interface, then it makes more sense to me to
completely disable NM, or to set this specific interface unmanaged in
NM.

Maybe this behaviour should be configurable?

I am affected by exactly the same problem, and I completely agree
with Frederik. Some improvement here would be highly appreciated.

ok, but what is the concrete suggestion?

How about adding a autoconnect-boot argument to a connection. When NM
starts and an interface is unconfigured it would do the usual
autoconnect behavior.

If the interface is already configured, during startup only,
NetworkManager would consider
  (autoconnect==TRUE && autoconnect-boot==TRUE)
connections and forcefully activate them.

I remember some discussion about supporting splitting the meaning of
autoconnect into a autoconnect and on-boot. I am unable to find the
bug/email now (CC Pavel).

Thomas