Re: NetworkManagerFailed to read classid file: Object not found

On Fri, 2015-03-06 at 08:49 -0600, Dan Williams wrote:
On Fri, 2015-03-06 at 11:02 +0100, Thomas Haller wrote:
On Thu, 2015-03-05 at 12:10 -0800, Ali Nematollahi wrote:
Hi guys

I am trying to use apt-get to install NM on my TI distribution of
Linux. It installs everything fine, and I have the systemd and dbus
all installed.
When I try to start the NM after the installation is over, it comes
back with the following error message:

What is TI?

NetworkManagerFailed to read classid file: Object not found

How do you try to start NetworkManager? Where do you see this message?
Is there some context around this message?

If you use systemd, then you would normally start NetworkManager via
systemd.

What gives

  systemctl status NetworkManager

I can't figure out what that means and I haven't been able to find any
info on the web that could fix the problem. I can't get the NM to work
and I'm really stuck trying to figure it out. I might be missing a
library or something. Can someone help me troubleshoot this please?

apt-get should install all the required libraries. Unless there is a
problem with your distribution or these packages.

This message appears to come from libnl3, actually.  See classid_init()
and rtnl_tc_read_classid_file(), I think it's looking
for /etc/libnl/classid.  Do you have that file?  You might need to
configure libnl3 with the right --prefix and --sysconfdir.

Thomas, maybe this warning should be downgraded to a debug or something?

that happens on upstream libnl for a while now:

https://github.com/thom311/libnl/commit/23c4ef67c735813fd41f66f6722b996d1ad7314a

Anyway, the message is harmless then.

it comes back with the following error message:

NetworkManagerFailed to read classid file: Object not found

that sounds like NetworkManager just deamonizes as expected. Normally,
you would not start NetworkManager directly via /sbin/NetworkManager.

First make sure that the manually started NM is not running, by

  $ killall NetworkManager

Then you start it via systemd
  $ systemctl start NetworkManager

Thomas