Re: Gobi 3000 (1199:901F)

On Mon, 2015-01-12 at 10:12 -0500, Jeremy Moles wrote:
On 01/09/2015 02:24 PM, Dan Williams wrote:
On Fri, 2015-01-09 at 12:14 -0500, Jeremy Moles wrote:
On 01/09/2015 12:01 PM, Jeremy Moles wrote:
Hey everyone! I'm not entirely sure where else to ask this, and I'm
somewhat desperate at this point having tried everything I'm capable of.

We have a machine here with the card listed in the subject. It shows
up in lsusb as:

1199:901f Sierra Wireless, Inc.

It will work in Linux so far if--and ONLY IF--you boot into Windows
first and then soft reboot into Linux. it appears that Windows does
something to the modem that Linux (currently) does not, and I was
wondering if anyone here had any advice on what I might try.

What I've done so far:

1) There is a knob in the sysfs hierarchy for this device that lets me
change the "config" (or something like that, I'm actually working on
this machine remotely and the customer isn't available right now!)
from 1 to 0, or 0 to 1. This ends up being necessary in fact, as after
doing so the tty's appear and the device is ready to be perturbed. It
responds to ATI commands and whatnot, but again, won't work properly
unless booted in Windows first. I should mention I found this knob
entirely by accident while hacking on qcserial and trying to accept
different "port" numbers as they enumerated themselves...

2) I downloaded the CodeAurora GobiSerial driver (which, according to
the changelog has a fix for "powering on" a device) and modified it to
work with 3.17 and 3.18 kernels (essentially, this involved
re-exporting usb-serial.c symbols like usb_serial_probe the code
relied on). However, I haven't had a chance to try this yet, and I'm
not entirely convinced (after looking through the code) it really does
anything qcserial doesn't.

Anyways, if anyone has any advice, please let us know!

I should also mention I JUST found this thread:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/modemmanager-devel/2014-June/001301.html

Which explains exactly what I was seeing when talking about my #1
attempt (the config option in sysfs; again, it's miraculously I found
that at all).

I can't piece together everything the thread is talking about, but it
may job someone's memory. I can also try e-mailing the author of that
thread directly.
When it's cold-booted under Linux, can you grab 'lsusb -v -d 1199:901F'?
Also grab 'dmesg' output to see what driver messages there are.  Next,
if you have mbimcli installed, run 'sudo mmcli --firmware-list -m 0' and
lets see what we have.

Next warm-boot from Windows to Linux and run 'sudo mmcli --firmware-list
-m 0' in case the previous one didn't work.

Dan

Thank you for your reponse, Dan. I've attached the information you asked
for to this e-mail, formatted in a way it can be easily diff'd/vimdiff'd
at your leisure.

You'll notice how the 'power-state' differs depending on the boot type.
Also, the --firmware-list command failed to run, saying:

     error: modem has no firmware capabilities

Yeah, I see now that the  modem is using QMI instead of MBIM.  So
instead, try these twice, once under Linux and once after rebooting from
Windows:

qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --dms-list-stored-images
qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --dms-get-operating-mode
qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --dms-get-revision

THe other possibility is that the machine's rfkill handling isn't known
to Linux, but since Windows knows, when you warm-boot to Linux the WWAN
rfkill is disabled.  What model laptop is this?  (if it's a laptop)