Re: Software to test MAC address privacy

On 07/18/2014 11:02 AM, Stuart Gathman wrote:

draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-address-generation-privacy-01.txt

privacy for both global and local scope IPv6 addresses.

So how do I get interest in this effort and get some revised test app for me (and other Linux users) to participate?
To guarantee compatibility, the first few bits should mark the MAC as a "private" one, and not conflict with any vendor id or pseudo vendor (like statically generated MACs for virtual machine virtual network interfaces).

Actually the standard uses the first 2 bits for this. It is called local scope MAC addresses. This leaves 46 bits for the random content. Thus if you have a network of 10000 devices the probablity of a collision is 7x10^-7

And some SOC ARM cards do not have an eeprom so the software install has to create a MAC address. My Cubieboard is one such.