Re: Headless VPN connections

Thanks, good to know.  The one thing I did struggle with for a while was permissions on the keyfiles. Now as said, we have a connection defined. It connects as intended, if ordered manually. But it doesn't auto connect or reconnect.

/D.S.

On 16 Jul 2014 10:20, "Thomas Haller" <thaller redhat com> wrote:
On Tue, 2014-07-15 at 17:16 +0200, D.S. Ljungmark wrote:
> On 15/07/14 15:20, Thomas Haller wrote:
> > ... BUT... for VPN, the settings are opaque to NetworkManager and passed
> > on to the VPN plugin. So, to know the meaning of the [vpn] settings, you
> > have to look for their meaning in NetworkManager-openvpn... usually
> > these parameters correspond to command line options to openvpn. So see
> > `man openvpn`.
>
> Aye, we have openVpn setup & working. but not integrated with
> NetworkManager, what we're hoping is to have NM manage all interfaces
> and VPN's and just have stuff "work" without having to manage it via
> various cron jobs to automatically restart things just in case.
> ( seriously, running curl http://vpn.vpn.vpn || service vpn restart  is
> -not- optimal. But was what we used to have )

Sidenote: NetworkManager-openvpn plugin does not pass any keys blindly
to openvpn. It only allows those options, that it understands. The
reason is that if the plugin would allow options that it cannot
understand, it would not know what openvpn is doing. Thus, there might
be some options, that are not implemented in the plugin and do not work.

But as you said you got NM connecting, that does not concern you.

Thomas