Re: ANN: NetworkManager 0.9.10 released

On Mon, 2014-07-07 at 08:24 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
Hey Dan,

Congrats, and excellent work!

Quick question on your 1.0 planning -- has VPN split-DNS with local
caching ever made it back into NM?  Back in the day it was working with
named but it was dropped due to the difficulty in maintaining the named
dbus interface patch.  I missed that feature for a while, and was
wondering if it might come back (if it hasn't already, in which case are
there docs on how to configure it on Fedora)?

VPN split DNS does work with the 'dnsmasq' dns plugin if the VPN pushes
a domain back to you, which should be as simple as "dns=dnsmasq" in the
config file and restarting NM.  There may be complications with some
distro-given default dnsmasq config files though ("bind-interfaces"
 I think), but since NM spawns dnsmasq itself, you could disable dnsmasq
as a system service to work around that, or remove that config option.
Let me know if that works!

Dan

Thanks, and again, congrats on 0.9.10.

-derek

Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> writes:

Hi!

Well, we finally did it.  We released NetworkManager 0.9.10 with all the
awesome goodness described here:

http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2014/06/20/well-build-a-dream-house-of-net/

Grab the tarballs for NetworkManager and the applet/editor here:

https://download.gnome.org/sources/NetworkManager/0.9/
https://download.gnome.org/sources/network-manager-applet/0.9/
(VPN plugins to come...)

The final 0.9.10 release contains many bug fixes, most notably some
changes in veth handling, crash fixes, nmtui fixes, ifcfg-rh and keyfile
settings plugin fixes, Team fixes, translations, Bluez4 pairing fixes,
and more.  A huge thanks to all of you who helped test the release
candidates!

----

Now that we've reached the moon, why not shoot for the stars?  I'm
talking about NetworkManager 1.0 later this year.  To start with, we're
planning to enhance VPN capabilities to finally bring multiple
concurrent VPN/tunnels, runtime configuration API for clients, an even
leaner footprint, more robust cooperation with external tools, nmcli
interactivity fixes, connection priorities, porting away from dbus-glib
to GDBus (finally!), Bluez5 DUN support, and way more greatness.

But best of all, *we'll be 1.0*!  Nobody thought we'd get here, but 10
years later, we're gonna finally do this.  Are you ready to party?