Re: Control Center App vs nm-connection-editor

On Sun, 2014-01-12 at 18:16 +0530, Ritesh Khadgaray wrote:
Hi
On 10 Jan 2014 01:45, "Dan Williams" <dcbw redhat com> wrote:

On Thu, 2014-01-09 at 15:52 +1300, Simon Geard wrote:
On Tue, 2014-01-07 at 09:52 -0600, Dan Williams wrote:
In addition to what Pavel said, the GNOME Control Center makes some
choices about the UI design and what to include and what to leave out
that are quite appropriate for the GNOME design and target audience.
Same for KDE.  nm-connection-editor exists to expose most options (but
not necessarily all of them) in a more complicated form, and is
intended
to be either a parallel tool to each desktop's preferred settings
panels, or a standalone one for desktops that don't have any other
settings editor.

One thing I noted the other day is that the Gnome UI doesn't support
setting up connection sharing (i.e configuring the machine as a gateway,
running a DHCP server, etc. Had to resort to nm-connection-editor for
that.

It does for creation of a WiFi Hotspot, which will then have access to
your upstream ISP (whether over ethernet, WWAN, etc).  But it doesn't
AFAIK support connection sharing between arbitrary connections.

Dan

I believe, this currently limited to ad hoc.

I posted patches for real AP mode a while back, which I believe is part
of GNOME 3.6 and later.