Re: Server Environments & Proper way to Disable

Hi
On 11 Jan 2014 20:34, "Jorge Fábregas" <jorge fabregas gmail com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Considering that NetworkManager is much mature these days (F20, RHEL7
> ON...), is there a benefit of running it on *server environments*? In
> such environments:
>
> - the server is not going to be changing connections constantly...
> - NM won't be receiving D-BUS signals from other apps that much or at all...
> - you'll get the benefit of running one less daemon if you disable it...
>
> To put it another way, what might I be missing if I disable NM on a
> typical server environment?
>
> Also, just to make sure.  Would you consider this the proper way to
> disable/remove NM in favor of the legacy service?

If you are asking me, ease of configuration management via nmcli, or your favourite scripting language such as python.

Better policy support via policykit, such as allowing user X to manage network.

> #1.  Remove NM
> systemctl stop NetworkManager
> systemctl disable NetworkManager
> yum remove NetworkManager
>
> #2.  Config file
> Edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/icfg-*
> and add:
> NM_CONTROLLED=no
> HWADDR=<your-NIC-MAC> (if it's not already there)
>
> p.d. even though NM is removed, I still put NM_CONTROLLED just in case
> it gets installed in a future time.
>
> #3. Assign gateway
> Edit /etc/sysconfig/network
>
> #4.  DNS
> Make sure correct entries are in /etc/resolv.conf
>
> #5. Enable Legacy Network
> systemctl enable network
> systemctl start network
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> Jorge

This should work fine, assuming you have no other dependency on nm.

- ritz