Re: WWAN, PPP, and IPv6 configuration questions

On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 22:33 +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> writes:

Hi Tore!

I'm not Tore but I'm unable to shut up :-)

I'm slowly working on getting all the IPv6 pieces together and had a
question about PPP & IPv6 that you might know.  I'm using the
Icera-based Nokia 21M that you sent me long ago, and (due to some
ModemManager bugs) it's using plain PPP.

1) What should the prefix be for the IPV6CP assigned address?

Huh?  IPV6CP doesn't assign or negotiate any address.  It negotiates an
Interface Identifier.  Which can then be used to create an address along
with a suitable prefix.  Like fe80::/64 for a link local address.  Or
any global prefix received in an RA (although it's not mandatory to use
it there)

Fair enough, that's what it does.  But we get to turn that into an
IPv6LL address that we can use for SLAAC, and that requires a prefix.

pppd
hardcodes it as '10' which seems entirely bogus to me:

    memset(&ifr6, 0, sizeof(ifr6));
    IN6_LLADDR_FROM_EUI64(ifr6.ifr6_addr, our_eui64);
    ifr6.ifr6_ifindex = ifr.ifr_ifindex;
    ifr6.ifr6_prefixlen = 10;

    if (ioctl(sock6_fd, SIOCSIFADDR, &ifr6) < 0) {

Yup, this is a somewhat common misconception due to fe80::/10 being
reserved for LL, as you noted.  But you absolutely do not want to accept
an address in fe80::/10 which is outside fe80::/64 as valid.

If you used /128 then the default route you got from the RA would stop
working, wouldn't it?

Use /64.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing.  And it does appear to work.