QMI and LTE: IP connection problems

Hi all,

I'm testing around with a Sierra Wireless MC7710 in QMI mode. For this I've checked out, built and installed
the current versions of ModemManager and NetworkManager a few days ago. First tests with two different UMTS
networks were successful. Great work, this really works out of the box both with QMI and AT commands (Sierra
Wireless SW/DirectIP mode)!

For further tests I'm using a communication tester for LTE signaling. Currently this fails at the simple IPv4
connection. I think I can exclude the communication tester as the connection works flawlessly using the
module with AT commands in the SW/DirectIP mode.
So what is happening in QMI: The module gets attached and gets an IP address with the default bearer. Setting
up a connection either using the NetworkManager or mmcli --simple-connect works. Binding this IP address to
wwan0 using dhclient works, too. But while after this procedure with AT commands (SW/DirectIP mode) I can
ping my APN, use services which the communication tester provides and so on, no IP-based communication is
possible when having set up the connection via QMI.

What have I done already:
- Checked output of ifconfig wwan0. Differences in the netmask: In AT mode the netmask is 255.255.255.0, in
QMI it's 255.255.255.252. I don't know yet if this could make the important difference as in general the UE
only needs to connect to its gateway which can be done with a rather limiting netmask, too.
- Changed configuration of wwan0 to the data which works for the AT mode - no success.
- Tried pinging the UE from the communication tester using a built-in ping functionality. It got pongs back
when the UE was attached but stopped as soon as I connected the UE using the NetworkManager or mmcli
--simple-connect. When I disconnected the pongs re-appeared. I cannot explain this to me in any way...

Does anyone of you know what could be the problem in this setup? Can I provide you with more information or
log files to narrow the down problem? Which parts of the ModemManager log is crucial?

Regards,
Martin

PS: I tried to gather some experience in a live network but unfortunately our provider seems to be unable to
offer LTE for a few days already now.
Signalion GmbH; Geschäftsführer (Managing Directors): Dr. Tim Hentschel, Dr. Thorsten Dräger; Sitz
(Registered Office): Dresden; HRB (Commercial Register No.): 22081; Registergericht (Registration Court):
Dresden

This email and any attachments are intended only for the person to whom this email is addressed and may
contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you received this email in error, please do not
disclose the contents to anyone, but notify the sender by return email and delete this email (and any
attachments) from your system.