Installing Network-manager Openswan-plugin for ubuntu

Hi.

Compiled and installed NetworkManager-openswan-0.9.8.0 (configure,
make, make install) on ubuntu 13.04 and it doesn't seem to show up as
an available VPN under the VPN Connections, Configure VPN, Add menu.
Installed openswan itself in case I needed that as infrastructure, no
change.

Are there special --prefix options one needs with ubuntu?

are there dependencies that don't relate to the compile? (I've
obviously got all of those, since it did compile successfully)

are there any special incantations to do on Network Manager to help it
sense the presence of a new plugin?

Is ubuntu unity incompatible with this plugin?