Re: dnsmasq config generated by NetworkManager

On 18.03.2013 19:50, Dan Williams wrote:
On Sat, 2013-03-16 at 14:29 +0400, Евгений Королев wrote:
Hello!
[I'm using KUbuntu 12.04, so some paths can be system-specific]

I have an idea about customizing dnsmasq config /var/run/nm-dns-dnsmasq.conf, which is generated by NM.

First, I've added some lines (like `address=/localhost/127.0.0.1` - it's really userfull, because /etc/hosts
doesn't work with wildcards) in dnsmasq config. Then I understood that editing /etc/dnsmasq.conf gives no
effect :) So I've found file /var/run/nm-dns-dnsmasq.conf. It's generated dynamically by
/usr/sbin/NetworkManager.

Please, think about such feature: user can create a constant prefix and suffix configs (let it be a section
in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf) which will be included into /var/run/nm-dns-dnsmasq.conf. Right
now user can't deal with dnsmasq configuration at all.
As of NM 0.9.6, you should be able to drop your own configuration
into /etc/NetworkManager/dnsmasq.d which then dnsmasq will pick up and
merge into your configuration.  Are you able to test that out and see if
it works for you?
Thank you very much! I've upgraded to latest Ubuntu and got NM 0.9.6. Then I've put my config into /etc/NetworkManager/dnsmasq.d - and it works fine!

Also, /etc/hosts should still be read by glibc's resolver no matter
what; does your /etc/hosts file contain any lines for 127.0.0.1, and if
so, what are they?  If there aren't any lines, then you should add them;
something has removed them and that's a problem.
My /etc/hosts is OK. The only problem was that I can't use record "127.0.0.1 *.localhost" in hosts file. But dnsmasq solves this problem easily.

Thank you one more time! You're the best! :)

--
Sincerely,
Eugene Korolev