Re: getting started adding OLSR mesh support to NM

On 01/31/2013 05:14 PM, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-01-18 at 19:15 -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Hey dcbw,
>>
>> Right now I'm looking for where I can jump in and start coding something.  I'm
>> thinking that I would modify NM to add the OLSR handling stuff like another
>> dhclient, avahi-autoip, etc.  to get something working, then hopefully that
>> will make it more apparent what the plugin interface should look like.  Then
>> we'd also have something to play with.  I open to hearing other approaches to,
>> but I'm getting eager to try some coding.
>
> To simplify the requirements we'd talked about:
>
> 1) need to identify which BSSIDs from scan results are an OLSR mesh node
> 2) when connecting to an OLSR node, olsrd needs to be started
> 3) once connected, IP configuration method may be specific to that mesh
> network and cannot be autodetected yet
> 4) need to separately identify OLSR mesh networks in UI applets
>
> Correct?  Are there any more?  Not trying to talk implementation here,
> but the 10,000ft requirements picture in general.
>
> Dan

Yes, that's what we need to do something useful.

Ultimately, there is plans to develop mesh "quality" metrics, something like
the classic 5 bars for GSM networks, or the radiating bars for wifi.  Like the
discovery techniques, that's in development.  So hopefully there'd be a way to
have NM represent the quality of the mesh connection in its GUI.  I'm OK with
using wifi signal strength for now if that is not doable, in order to get
something working sooner.

.hc