"Shared to other computers" setting

I have two laptops, one connected to WiFi, and the other not. I have a crossover cable joining the two. I'd like the non-WiFi laptop to be able to access the internet, so I set the WiFi laptop's wired-IPv4 connection method to "Shared to other computers". However, both devices just display "Connecting - 1000 Mb/s", and eventually the non-WiFi laptop displays a "Connection failed" notification.

I tried disabling IPv6 on both laptop because I found a bug [1] indicating IPv6 might cause trouble; however, this had no effect. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Kerrick

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/865001