Re: Problem with 4G modem -- 'ip-config-unavailable'

2013/2/27 Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>
On Wed, 2013-02-27 at 14:41 +0100, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 2013-02-26 at 03:06 +0400, Andrew Boltachev wrote:
> >> ** Message: nm-ppp-plugin: (nm_phasechange): status 5 / phase
> >> 'establish'
> >> ** Message: nm-ppp-plugin: (nm_phasechange): status 11 / phase
> >> 'disconnect'
> >> Connection terminated.
> >
> > That's the problem; from the logs I'm assuming that the ordering of the
> > statements is correct, and that these lines come before NetworkManager
> > starts the IPv4 timeout.  How long is the delay between the "Connection
> > terminated." line and the "Stage 4 of 5 (IPv4 Configure Timeout)
> > scheduled..." line?  We'll need to know that before we can figure out if
> > PPP is failing or if there's something wrong with nm-ppp-plugin sending
> > the information back to NM.

Looks like there's almost no delay between that lines. There is big delay (about 20 sec) between lines "lt-NetworkManager[30907]: <warn> /sys/devices/virtual/net/ppp0: couldn't determine device driver; ignoring..." and "** Message: nm-ppp-plugin: (nm_phasechange): status 6 / phase 'authenticate'"

> I may be wrong, but I believe the E3276 doesn't support PPP.  At least
> not in the default (vendor supported) modes.  It requires using cdc_ncm
> for the data channel and AT^NDISDUP etc for connection management.

I don't know, what you mean "vendor-supported mode" here, but I have send specific AT commands to modem:
1st -- disabled embedded virtual CD and SD -- command AT^SETPORT="A1,A2;10,12,13"
2nd -- switch to LTE-only mode -- AT^SYSCFGEX="03",3fffffff,2,4,7fffffffffffffff,,

Also, how I have checked just now, my modem responds on commands AT^NDISDUP=1,1,"apn" and AT^NDISSTATQRY?
so, it may be is what you are guessing about. Btw, I have found commands here https://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2012-November/msg00143.html

This NDISDUP-or-not-NDISDUP-or-maybe-DHCP-but-not-PPP thing is such a
mess...

Dan

Yes, there's a lot of mess. Additional facts are:
1. I have send a lot of commands to modem before, but it still works on Windows good
2. Suddenly my modem got connected, but only two times one by one few days ago (I have saved output logs if needed)
3. My friend has identical 4G E3276 modem and Arch Linux OS with NM installed. His modem used to work on his laptop, but after testing on my laptop modem suddenly stopped to work, providing the same 'ip-config-unavailable' message. My friend got it back to work, by changing APN, username and password settings to empty values (looks like our provider don't needs that. In official program for Windows only APN is non-empty, and it's set to "internet"). But I'm doing the same and no luck.
4. I have 3G modem E352, buyed from the same provider. It act very strange. When I've had Ubuntu OS installed and plugged new modem in laptop, it gets connected very few times, but after that it suddenly stopped to connect. Also, when I've reinstalled OS and plugged modem again, it also has connected few times and don't works now. (Seems like it gets bound to specific OS installation and don't works more than few times).
5. I have another 3G modem E171, buyed from other provider, and it works very well with no problems.

By the way, can anyone tell me, where may I find information about AT commands, connection standards (like NDISDUP) and other stuff considering 3G/4G modems? Are manufacterers (like Huawei) providing that data or it's predicted not by manufacterers, but by standards? Asking questions there is fun, but I want to hack something myself (If that will be helpful).