Re: v1.0.8 & DUID

On Fri, 2013-02-15 at 14:32 -0500, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
Although there is a v1.0.8 tag in the NM git, there is still hope since
there has not been a Release Announcement yet.

Hmm, I don't see a 1.0.8 or a 1.0.2.  The latest release was 0.9.6.4,
and the  next release will be 0.9.8.  This next release will be from
this branch:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/log/?h=nm-0-9-8

I would like to encourage the inclusion of two patches into v1.0.2
before it ships:

commit c0efef8c92aecb23df7dcbf3670236719d097873
     dhcp: add special machine-id parse functio

commit 1b1b4bd91c29425c25e8e979cd77b7a67deb9bf5
     dhcp: write DUID out to lease file if not already present

I actually pushed these to that branch and master yesterday after
testing those patches and ensuring that my modifications to them were
correct.

Dan

Without these the DUID support just does not work.

And, speak of DUID ... I am planning to write a small utility program to
help with DUIDs.  It would output two lines.  The first line with be the
default-duid in "dhclient format" and the second with be the hex-string
equivalent for use with libvirt and dnsmasq. By default, it would
generate DUID-UUID based on the machine-id. Optionally it would product
DUID-LL and DUID-LLT format when the MAC is provided.

I am going to do this for myself but is there interest in including such
a utility in the NM package?

Gene