Re: HUWAEI E1750 NDISDUP

On 18.12.2013 18:57, Dan Williams wrote:
On Wed, 2013-12-18 at 18:38 +0100, poma wrote:
On 18.12.2013 00:26, Dan Williams wrote:
On Tue, 2013-12-17 at 23:50 +0100, poma wrote:
HUWAEI E1750 NDISDUP

Is the difference between the two modes just the usb_modeswitch
commands?  I see they have different USB IDs between first and second
runs.

USB Modeswitch has nothing to do with it, besides it doesn't work. ;)
Actually the device switches mode by itself. ;) 'pid 140c' is inherited
through a warm state(reboot) from proprietary OS. However if the device
is replugged(cold state) within the Linux kernel, it switches to the
'pid 1436' mode.
And vice versa.

That's still usb_modeswitch.  Windows is sending a specific message to
the Huawei device telling to use a specific mode, and it switches to
that mode.  After reboot to Linux, it's still in that mode.  But if you
coldplug the device while in Linux, usb_modeswitch sends a message to
the device that is different than what Windows sends.

On Linux with ModemManager, we would prefer to use the "Windows" mode
since that is more capable.  Unfortunately, usb_modeswitch needs changes
to send the correct message to switch to the "Windows" mode too.

All that said, if possible ModemManager should try to support the
non-Windows cdc-ether mode too, but there may be bugs with that.

It's not up to you, it's really up to the HUWAEI folks to be more
involved in these issues.
Besides I would rather call it the "Firmware Modeswitch",
i.e. 'AT^U2DIAG=276' - the default device state, 12d1:1436 ;)

poma