Re: NetworkManager with multiple RA (radvd failover)

On 2013-12-17 17:39, Tore Anderson wrote:
* Anders Blomdell

I'm trying to implement RA failover at my site, but NetworkManager
grabs the first RA it sees to set a (static) default route with
metric 1, and then it sits there even when the lifetime of this route
has expired (and no more RA's from that host). Is this a bug or some
feature tham I'm overlooking.

It's a known bug. I'm pretty sure it has been brought up on the list
before, though I'm not sure if someone actually filed a bug report about
it yet. You could look into using VRRP between your routers instead, if
they support it.
Will look into VRRP, but 4.1 from http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc579 makes me
suspicious:

   In the IPv6 case (that is, IPvX is IPv6 everywhere in the figure),
   each router has a link-local IPv6 address on the LAN interface (Rtr1
   is assigned IPv6 Link-Local A and Rtr2 is assigned IPv6 Link-
   Local B), and each host learns a default route from Router
   Advertisements through one of the routers (in this example, they all
   use Rtr1's IPv6 Link-Local A).

won't NetworkManager pick up those routes as well, and [still] mess up routing?

If not, I think you are SOL for now. (As am I.)

Would [nm-policy.c: update_ip6_routing] be a good starting-point for looking
into this?

/Anders

--
Anders Blomdell                  Email: anders blomdell control lth se
Department of Automatic Control