Re: static interface shuts down on disconnect

----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon Bazley" <simon bazley themartingale com>
To: "Ritesh Khadgaray" <khadgaray gmail com>
Cc: "network manager" <networkmanager-list gnome org>
Sent: Saturday, December 7, 2013 11:01:13 PM
Subject: Re: static interface shuts down on disconnect

That's not really helpful,

The feature you are requesting has been implemented:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/log/?id=17e91fd46aca2f99f8231d9e9d9916bb110b1be9&qt=grep&q=ignore-carrier

I don't know if it's present in any of the stable updates but it will get to the 0.9.10 release.

as I need the (database) services on this machine,
to be used by other machines (so loopback isn't an option), when the cable
is plugged in.

You aren't the first person to ask for this feature often needed on servers.

I can understand this being the default behaviour on a desktop,

Yes, it is.

but this is really not acceptable behaviour on a server

People, please don't repeat this nonsense all over the time. It's perfectly acceptable in many to clear the
configuration upon cable disconnection. In *some* cases it's unacceptable but that doesn't have much to do
with the server/desktop/laptop/whatever difference. In this case the "default" behavior will always be a wild
guess that many will criticise.

You just need to wait for a version of NetworkManager that supports ignore-carrier and set it up to your
needs without too much rumbling about the defaults.

(the act of accidentally unpluging a cable kills services that don't need to use the cable).

That indeed suggests your configuration is wrong if your local services rely on addresses assigned to
external interfaces. I most often solve this by proper network configuration and by only internally using
addresses assigned to the loopback (or very rarely dummy) interface, whether it's a loopback address or a
global address assigned to the loopback device.

Next time, when you want to make the address multi-homed, you'll need to do something like that anyway.

If there
really is no way to turn this off, then NetworkManager isn't really suitable
for servers,

I can't undestand why people all the time assume that their pet peeves or their workarounds to
misconfiguration of their systems apply to just everyone else out there. You are deploying a bad
configuration that will bite you sooner or later anyway. You want to turn off carrier detection to work
around your misconfiguration,
fine.

Actually there are other people who want to use the same technique to work around their own issues, whether
similar or entirely different. There is demand for such a workaround. It's implemented in NetworkManager git
master. That's all for now.

and that seems an unlikely intention.

Just as unlikely as using NetworkManager for servers, until very recently. For 0.9.10, there are many
features to solve specific needs of huge number of people using NetworkManager on servers, for the not so
huge number of people using their wifi enabled laptops as experimental servers, and many others. Don't expect
quirks and workarounds requested by server administrators until then.

Pavel

Simon